Arab World English Journal (December 2016) Theses / Dissertation (ID 170)
Author: Waddah Saleh Mohammed Mahwari
Thesis Title: Designing A Model for Evaluating Pre-Service EFL Teacher Education Programmes: An Exploratory Study in the Yemeni Context
Institution: Department of School of English Language Education, The English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad, India
Year of award: 2016
Supervisor: Dr. S. Nageswara Rao
Keywords: Evaluation, Model, Pre-service EFLTEPs, Student-teachers, Teacher-educators
The aim of this study is to design a new evaluation model for evaluating PEFLTEPs in the colleges of Education at the Aden University in Yemen. To achieve this aim, a new evaluation model, EPEETSEM Model (Educational Purposes, Educational Experiences, Teaching Strategies and Evaluation Methods), is designed based on reviewing the literature on programme evaluation and procedures of the PELTEPs using the recognised methods of programme evaluation to evaluate the PELTEPs. This model focuses on the strengths and weaknesses of the PEFLTEP through answering seven main research questions as follows:
1. What are the standards that should be followed for evaluating PEFLTEPs?
2. What are the standards applicable in the curriculum of PEFLTEPs at the Aden University?
3. To what extent are the standards of educational purposes applicable in the aims and the objectives of curriculum of PEFLTEPs at the Aden University?
4. To what extent are the standards of educational experiences applicable in the content of curriculum of PEFLTEPs at the Aden University?
5.To what extent are the standards of teaching strategies in the teaching methods used in PEFLTEPs at the Aden University?
6. To what extent is the standard of evaluation methods applicable in the evaluation procedures used in PEFLTEPs at the Aden University?
7. What is an appropriate balance among the four components of PEFLTEPs: linguistic, ELT Methodology, literature and General Education?
This model consists of four major domains as follows:
The first domain, educational purposes, the second domain, educational experiences, third domain, teaching strategies, the last domain, evaluation methods.
In summary, the evaluation in this model is conducted at the whole programme level.The data, both quantitative and qualitative, are collected through questionnaires, semi-structured interviews, open-ended questions, essay questions and content analysis. The findings of the study reveal that the PEFLTEPs in the colleges of Education in the Aden University in Yemen have some major shortcomings that need to be addressed. The shortcomings are related to the educational purposes, educational experiences, teaching strategies of the PEFLTEPs and evaluation methods. The study concludes by making suggestions for the improvement, and development of the PEFLTEPs. In addition, it proposes the evaluation model, EPEETSEM Model (Educational Purposes, Educational Experiences, Teaching Strategies, and Evaluation Methods), for evaluating PEFLTEPs/ PESLTEPs, which can be applied and modified depending on the specifications of any given context
Note: Citing this thesis, please use:
Mahwari, Waddah Saleh Mohammed. (2016). Designing A Model for Evaluating Pre-Service EFL Teacher Education Programmes: An Exploratory Study in the Yemeni Context. PhD dissertation. EFL-University, Hyderabad, India
Retrieved from (Arab World English Journal Database. (ID Number: 170), December 2016 .